Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Black Door by Charlotte Howard: Tens List with Excerpt

 



My Ten Favourite Books

Charlotte Howard

 

It was actually quite difficult to think of my top ten books, because I’m not a fan of one particular genre. I’ve read crime, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, historical… Pretty much anything and everything! But there are some books that I’ve read that have stuck with me over the years.

 

  1. Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

 

The Trilogy of Four is definitely my favourite book of all time. I love all of the characters (Marvin the Paranoid Android is by far the best!), and I could read these books over and over again. We actually have 2 copies of the series since my husband and I both owned a copy before moving in together. I was left disappointed by the movie though.

 

  1. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

 

One of my favourite class books, I read this when I was a teenager and went through my Mum’s Readers Digest classics. I love the old black & white movie too, and this book is the reason my daughter is called Rebecca.

 

  1. A Thin Dark Line by Tami Hoag

 

Not the best book, but it was the first one of Tami Hoag’s that I read, and it got my completely addicted. I haven’t got the two latest novels, but I’ve read all of the others. I always love a good crime / mystery, and with Tami Hoag I can guarantee that I won’t be able to put the book down.

 

  1. The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson

 

I know this is a children’s book, but it is still one of my favourites. I got it for my daughter when she was little, and we’ve now read it so many times that I could tell you the story without opening the book. We love reading it together and doing silly voices for all the characters. We’ve also got the DVD.

 

  1. The Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day

 

I read this after the FSOG trilogy, and have to say I prefer Gideon over Christian. I am one of those readers who has been impatiently waiting for the next book to come out, and pre-ordered it for my Kindle as soon as Amazon let me. When a new Crossfire book comes out, my husband knows he has lost me for at least 3 days.

 

  1. Tripwire by Lee Childs

 

The first Lee Childs book I read when I was a teenager and it stuck with me. I have read the other Jack Reacher books as well, but Tripwire is my favourite. I wasn’t sure whether Tom Cruise was going to do the character any justice, because it’s certainly not how I pictured him, but I did like the film as well.

 

  1. The Dark Half by Stephen King

 

The scariest book I have ever read was The Dark Half by Stephen King. I couldn’t read it at night or if I was in the house on my own. As always, I prefer the book over the film. I didn’t find the film scary at all, but the book had been terrified! I loved it!

 

  1. The Secrets of Crickley Hall by James Herbert

 

This was bought for me as a Christmas present a few years ago, and I couldn’t put it down. I was hooked from the first page. I hadn’t read anything by James Herbert before, so it was completely new to me, but since getting this I have read his other books. When the book was made into a series I was left impressed – the house was exactly how I imagined it, which I think is down the flawless description in the book.

 

  1. The Loop by Nicholas Evans

 

I’d read The Horse Whisperer and decided to give The Loop a go. Wow. Tears. So many tears. Nicholas Evans has a way of connecting with the reader and evoking emotions that I didn’t know I was aware of!

 

  1. The Rizzoli and Isles Series by Tess Gerritsen

 

I am a Rizzoli and Isles fan, not because of the TV series (although I do watch them), but because of the books. I think Body Double is probably my favourite of the series, but they all rate pretty highly as far as I’m concerned.


ABOUT THE BOOK

 



The Black Door

by Charlotte Howard

 

BLURB:

 

Imogen Pearce is a single mum of four children and fast approaching 40, she works at Ryedale Incorporated where she has to battle a younger and smarter generation to get to where she wants to go. If that means taking on the account of Cherry and Sean Rubin’s adult shop, then she will. But what happens when Imogen discovers the private club that they run at the back? And what happens when she realizes she knows quite a few members?

 

Buy Links:

 

Tiger Publishing       Smashwords      Amazon US        Amazon UK

 

EXCERPT 

We sat down on a pair of large leather sofas and prepared to play our usual game of ‘who says what’. I looked around and spied a young woman with a laptop open, and a tall, skinny, something hot by her arm. The woman was in her late twenties, perhaps early thirties, with pale skin, dark hair that had been let loose around her shoulders, and a slick of crimson lipstick.

 

“She’s a writer,” I said, leaning close to Caroline so that nobody could overhear. “She’s writing a hot, steamy, romance where the two main characters are having a clandestine affair, and it’s all based on her life.”

 

Caroline tried to hide her giggle by taking a sip of her drink before hunting out a new victim.

 

“Okay, him,” Caroline said, pointing towards a man standing at the counter. “He works in a bank, but is trying to remain discreet and blend in with us common folk, not give away his fabulously wealthy background. He’s having an affair with a married man, and secretly likes to wax his legs.”

 

The man turned around. “Oh no,” I said, adding a few choice curses under my breath.

 

“What’s the matter?” Caroline asked, watching as I tried to shrink into the sofa and blend with my surroundings.

 

“That’s my boss,” I whispered.

 



MEET THE AUTHOR






British author Charlotte Howard, was born in Oman and spent much of the first part of her life flitting between Oman, Scotland, and England. Now settled in Somerset, Charlotte lives with her husband, two children, and growing menagerie of pets.

 

Her career as a writer began at an early age, with a poem being featured in an anthology for the East Midlands. Since then Charlotte has written many short stories and poems, and finally wrote her first full-length piece of fiction in 2010.

 

During what little spare time she has, Charlotte enjoys reading and writing (of course), spending time with her family, and watching action movies whilst eating curry and drinking tea. 

Charlotte is an active member of Yeovil Creative Writers. 

 Social Media / Website links: 


choward2614.wordpress.com

facebook.com/charlottehowardauthor 

twitter.com/Shy_Tiger

 

Buy Links: 

Tiger Publishing       Smashwords      Amazon US        Amazon UK

 


GIVEAWAY

Charlotte will be awarding an eBook of The Black Door, a signed print copy of Seven Dirty Words with a bookmark, and a $10 Amazon gift card (£10 Amazon gift card if UK winner) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $10 Amazon gift card (£10 if they're UK) to a randomly drawn host.




a Rafflecopter giveaway







8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your list, I might have to check out a title or two

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all great books, and mean something more to me than simply reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great list. I have read some of them.

    ReplyDelete